[Terrapreta] Charcoal in soil

Nikolaus Foidl nfoidl at desa.com.bo
Sat Feb 9 14:10:10 CST 2008

Gerrit, the animals ( cows) are day and night in the field, they are moved
some every 3 hours some every 12 hours and some every 3 days until one plot
is completely eaten up. So if you dont move in the back of every cow
collecting by hand there shit ,now way to get a good economically sound use
of it. The pigs are in stables where the liquid and solid waste is collected
in channels and then by filtrating all solids out of the liquid adding
formalin you can reduce the volume of the fertilizer ( nitrogen polymer) by
some 99% . You don't have to transport water over 70 km instead you
transport 1% of the whole as a water insoluble solid ( polymer crystals with
a high N content). I asked Christoph Steiner the other day about there
productivity adding charcoal and fertilizer to the amazon soil and he told
me the productivity was between 1500 to 2000 kg grains of Corn per ha
compared with no application where they got something like 10 kg per ha. Yes
in this direct comparison you see a huge increase in productivity but for a
normal average soil all over the world without any additions , not charcoal
not anything, 2000 kg of corn per ha would be a complete failure for the
farmer, he would not even earn the harvest costs with this miserable
productivity. So ³ terra preta so fertile² is very relative, comparing that
fertility with a 10cm thick concrete slab the fertility of terra preta is
much better, comparing it with and stink normal  badly treated soil this
³ fertility² is a mess, miserable and not mentionable. We have to go back to
the roots and see first more about ³fertility claims with ancient terra
preta soils² if there are proven and conclusive data that const. that terra
preta produces more or better then a normal soil where you grow 12.000 kg
corn, then we can go ahead and find out why. Before we do that ,everything
is just esoteric- Amazonian schaman- indian- bull.. and crab.

I for myself try to find out now if charcoal stripped of all its minerals
has some effect on plant growth, if so, how big, which nature of effect and
then after a cost-benefit analysis I will redraw the experiments or trials.
As well I will pick up your idea on adding Urine liquid to the charcoal.

A complete other book is that we get lets say 50 US$ per ton CO2, see what
amount of charcoal you can burry without harming your farmland in the worst
case or having neutral or inconclusive effects as I have until now( can
change, I leave this option open) and earn money burring some 50 tons per ha
( 3 tonCO2/ ton Charcoal x 50tons charcoal x 50US$/ ton Ch.=7500 US$ income
versus 50Tons x 50 US$ cost= 2500 US$ costs) in a range of 5000 US$ net per
ha and lifetime. ( dont believe you can overburden the soil adding every
year this amount and where do you get this amount of raw material without
huge transport costs). From those 5000 US$ you maybe can keep 500 after all
the sharks have gone over it.( like taxes,CO2 broker fees, local government
fees, save the world ­UNO ­propaganda fees, Bank transfer fees, carbonizing
fees, you name it fees etc.etc.)

I am still positive towards Charcoal.
Best regards Nikolaus