[Terrapreta] Terrapreta Digest, Vol 13, Issue 14

Nikolaus Foidl nfoidl at desa.com.bo
Sun Feb 10 07:46:43 CST 2008

Dear Richard!

When forming the polymer with formalin , there should not be left free
formalin without polymerization, so do an analysis first determine the
stöchiometric amount of formalin needed to polymerizes and then there is no
sterilizing effect left on Bacteria or other active or passive livings.
In contrary the bacteria in braking up the polymer use urease and by doing
so use up the formalin part as a C source.( same happens when you apply a
Methanol water mixture as a foliar spray which concentrated would act as a
sterilizing or " disinfecting substance but up to 25% in water the bacteria
use it as a rich C source) So no contradiction using polymerized nitrogen
with charcoal. The overall positive effect is that you can lower the
Nitrogen input in soil at least some 70% because the Urease degrading needs
very much time (several 10 of days) so the nitrogen is released slowly as a
plant available Nitrogen.As a polymer ist not soluble in water so there is
no danger of leaching out. As the polymer is in a water unsoluble form ist
not recognized by rhizobium or azotobacter as an active available nitrogen
source so they dont stop fixing nitrogen.
Best regards Nikolaus