[Terrapreta] Catalysts for making Butanol

Greg and April gregandapril at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 10 16:00:59 CST 2008

While the process for making methanol from syngas is well understood and well out of reach of the common person, what about the catalytic process for making butanol?

While internet searching, I have found many processes for using butanol with catalysts to make other things, I have found only one page, that refers to catalysts that are used to make butanol ( from what I think is using syngas ), does any one have any more information on the process?

The one webpage I found lists tin dioxide, cerium dioxide and rhodium oxide at 350* C, which while may be a little exotic, the temperature range is within what a backyard producer could manage, if I'm reading this right.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6TF5-43439MD-C&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=8698fe8de34a842bff037a2a1df48057

Greg H.