[Terrapreta] Need info for/on Haiti

Jim Joyner jimstoy at dtccom.net
Wed Feb 13 10:34:20 CST 2008

A friend just called to ask me what I knew about using charcoal in
agriculture (unfortunately, very little at this point, nothing beyond
what I've learned here). She is on her way to Haiti.

 From what I understand a lot of charcoal is made in Haiti to export to
the US (?). When I have talked to commercial charcoal makers, the
charcoal powder left over is not very valuable, maybe even a waste
product. Is that right? And, if so could those fines be used to improve
the soil in Haiti? Is there anyone in Haiti doing any work with TP?

My friend is going to Haiti to try to teach agriculture at a very basic
level. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim