[Terrapreta] Critical thinking or lack thereof

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Sun Feb 17 19:03:21 CST 2008

Hi Lewis,

Which is Michael Crichton ... fool or knave?  He would deny it and bend the ear of millions doing it ... he is a knave to make such fools, I think (all to sell books or speeches).  I know that global climate process are complex, but the overall trend is warming and the overall active force seeming to cause this warming is the emission of fossil fuel carbon into the atmosphere occurring with fossil fuel burning by humans.

Even with all of the complex interactions occurring in the atmosphere, the global atmosphere has a simple verified action in play (this effect overrides the the smaller effects of the complexities as underlying noise)

Change in degrees F because of rising CO2 concentrations in the atmosphere has a simple verifiable model

delta F = 5.35* ln(CO2 concentration now/CO2 concentration then).  In 150 years, 5.35 * ln(380/250) = 2.24 degrees F

By 2050, when CO2 concentrations reach 480 ppmv, the temperature will rise another 5.35*ln(480/380) = 1.24 degrees F.  This, because the ones who listen and bow down to the social bell-weather of to Michael Crichton and don't believe in GW or do anything about it or because the ones who think there are overriding "complexities" that we humans do not understand,  so we should not do anything to disturb Mother Nature (beyond what we already have done).

I am not a fool to agree with the obvious that you point out or to try and grip the simple verifiable mathematical models that predict what we have measured and now see.  I am not a fool if I think the complexities are irrelevant.

A Monarch butterfly can flap it wings in Mexico and cause a typhoon in Bangladesh, maybe.  Still rising CO2 concentrations occurring because from fools are burning TOO MUCH FOSSIL FUEL will cause an increase in global average temperatures and changes in global climate, no matter what the complexities.