[Terrapreta] Critical thinking or lack thereof

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Mon Feb 18 00:35:54 CST 2008

Hi Lewis,

In my understanding, which meshes closely with yours, chaotic is the better description of the global climatic system behavior.  Now, some litigious types might point out that the study of chaos theory is the study of complexity ... see "Complexity: the Emerging Science at the Edge of Order and Chaos", Waldrop, M. Mitchell, Touchstone, Simon & Schuster, 1992.  The terms are quite synonymous in that book.

Markov chains? ...  You bring me back to some work I did on detecting Atrial Fibrillation, examining heart rate (R-to-R interval) trends as a Markov process.

Thanks for the lucidity of your posting here tonight, Lewis.  You speak to me in a way that makes complete sense.  I too am "not in my ken" as you put it, with critiquing Michael Crichton.  But, when confronted with an argument that because Micheal Crichton doubts Global Warming as a reality and therefore I need to get the kind of "critical thinking" he apparently has, well, I'll take that bait, and straw man that argument to death (the best offense is a great offense ... haha).

The man only tells good FICTIONAL stories, as far as I can tell.  He cannot possibly have a relevant argument against Global Warming, in my opinion.