[Terrapreta] Critical thinking or lack thereof

Frank Teuton fteuton at videotron.ca
Fri Feb 22 10:42:44 CST 2008

While I have to agree that Crichton's 'complexity' stuff is 'analysis for
the sake of paralysis' and largely worthless except that we need to keep an
open mind,  I cannot agree with William Carr's following assertion:

   Wood and hay are carbon neutral fuels.   Coal, oil, and gas are not.

> Burning biomass has never added a gram of Carbon to the atmosphere
> that didn't COME from the atmosphere in the first place.

Wood and hay are not carbon neutral fuels unless the forest and haylands are
managed sustainably on an equilibrium basis. Fossil fuel carbon ALSO came
from the atmosphere, once upon a time. If we are degrading and emptying
natural biomass reserves such as forests, grasslands and soil organic matter
these must be understood as contributing to anthropogenic atmospheric
CO2...indeed, our job is to try to figure out ways of refilling them as well
as other methods for removing carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and storing
it, to allow us to control the quantity of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.

Fossil fuels are absolutely the leading problem now, but land use patterns
are nonetheless major players both in terms of the causes of the current
levels and as potential recipients of carbon to be sequestered. This
includes TP of course, but is not at all limited to it.

In that sense, keeping 'complexity' in mind is never wrong. The devil is
always hiding out in the details.

My two cents,

Frank Teuton