[Terrapreta] Critical thinking or lack thereof

William Carr Jkirk3279 at qtm.net
Fri Feb 22 01:45:54 CST 2008

> "According to Jesse Ausubel of the Rockefeller Institute,
> industrialized nations have been decarbonizing their energy sources
> for 150 years, meaning we are moving away from carbon toward
> hydrogen. In other words, the ratio of carbon to hydrogen decreases
> as you go from wood and hay (1:1) to coal to oil to gas (1:4)"

Did anybody catch this part?

An invalid comparison if there ever was one.

Crichton is cherry-picking his citations,  trying to prove we don't
need to DO anything about carbon by going all the way back to HAY !

As if there was some magic guiding force moving our society away from
carbon, mysteriously operating in the background !

It's an invalid comparison, if you're actually concerned about carbon
dioxide as a Global Warming gas.

Wood and hay are carbon neutral fuels.   Coal, oil, and gas are not.

Burning biomass has never added a gram of Carbon to the atmosphere
that didn't COME from the atmosphere in the first place.

************

This reminds me of what a cousin of mine tried to tell me once.

We were at a family picnic, and out of the blue he said:  " did you
know that if you dump raw sewage into a river, 100 yards down the
river that water will be safe to drink"?

I looked at him in astonishment.   Several things went through my mind.

1) This was obviously something he'd been told.   What today we call a
"talking point", particular to his political party.

2) This guy is actually supposed to be intelligent.

3) My cousin is SO convinced of the rightness of his Party's policies
he didn't even analyze this anecdote before repeating it.

4) Apparently he'd never heard the "solution to pollution is dilution".

Dilute raw sewage ENOUGH, and the amount of live Fecal Coliform
Bacteria per liter will be low enough that your likelihood of
infection from it is also low.

But the water ISN'T clean.    The bacteria will find a haven in a
backwater somewhere, and given a food source may reproduce until it
reaches toxic levels.   That's why municipalities have Sewage
Treatment plants.

5) Also apparently, the conclusion the listener is supposed to draw is
this:   that God has such a complex plan for the world, that he
designed Nature to automatically clean up after us !

This anecdote isn't a fluke.

I've heard other talking points like this, with similar flawed
logic:   I occasionally get them in group emails and it's a
distressing sign of "group think".

*************

I looked at my cousin in disgust, and told him "YOU can drink it, not
me !".     He was taken aback.   Apparently not the result he was
expecting.

And so we come full circle.   Both Crichton and my cousin seem to
believe there's no need to worry over the problems global civilization
causes.

Both of them want to dissuade the rest of us from the effort of
thinking, and possibly doing something about these problems that might
cost them money in taxes.

I think the "lack of critical thinking" is just what Crichton is
hoping for.

William Carr