[Terrapreta] torrified wood vs. charcoal (Robert Flanagan)

Robert Flanagan saffechina at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 05:24:35 CST 2008

Hey Bill,

I'm really sorry for the delay in my response but I had to go overseas
during the week and I'm running a little behind.

To try and answer the first question, you could certainly use your excess
heat to take the moisture content down to around 20% then gasifiy your
biomass to insure you get all the energy from your biomass plus the extra
energy from the cracked water. You could also preheat your primary and
secondary combustion air to give your gasifier better over all combustion.
There is a company in India that sell different gasifiers for heat or
electricity called http://www.ankurscientific.com/ and I'm sure they could
make the modification to produce biochar if requested.

The stove you describe in the last part is just an open fire from what I can
make out. If you start a fire and add fuel to the top and have air flow from
the bottom you just doing complete combustion (Reduction to ash) and you
will always have lost energy as the moisture will make your gas very wet.
When all the moisture is driven off and you start burning the off gases have
finished burning then you could in theory quench the char but it sound
dangerous!

Hope this answers your questions,

Regards,
Rob.