[Terrapreta] Michael Pollan Debunks Food Myths- a long article on food myths, processed food and food and journalism"you are what what you eat eats, too."

Michael Bailes michaelangelica at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 08:09:05 CST 2008

SOME EXTRACTS
[QUOTE]Michael Pollan Debunks Food Myths

By Onnesha Roychoudhuri, AlterNet. Posted February 20, 2008.

Pollan's new book, In Defense of Food, is a scathing indictment of the food
industry and a call for a return to unprocessed food.
. . .

. . .
As I see it, nutrition science is kind of where surgery was in the year
1650, which is to say very interesting and promising, but do you really want
to get on the table yet?
. . .
MP: Over time the nutritional quality of many of our foodstuffs has gone
down for a couple different reasons. One is we have been breeding for
qualities other than nutrition. We've been breeding for yield, looks and
ship-ability. Also, over time, our soils have been simplified by the use of
chemical fertilizers. For plants to create all these interesting
phytochemicals that nourish us, they need a complex soil.
. . .
That's what a lot of those phytochemicals are. They're plant pesticides, in
effect. They happen to be very useful to us and our bodies. One theory is
that since organic plants have to defend themselves, they produce more of
those compounds.
. . .
. . .
MP: It's funny to think of something as domestic as cooking and gardening as
subversive, but it is. It is the beginning of taking back control from a
system that would much rather do everything for you. The food industry wants
to cook for you, shop for you, they want to do everything but digest for you
. . .
MP: We moralize our food choices. This as an example of how science is more
influenced by ideology than perhaps we realize.
. . .
<http://www.blog.thesietch.org/wp-content/permaculture.swf>

--
Michael the Archangel

"You can fix all the world's problems in a garden. . . .
Most people don't know that"
FROM
http://www.blog.thesietch.org/wp-content/permaculture.swf