[Terrapreta] Request for help for new Nottingham Bio-char Group

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Sun Feb 24 11:05:28 CST 2008

Hello Brian

Seeking guidance on setting up biochar and planning  well in advance
is a wise practice. My own experiments are proceeding in PNW - USA are
interesting and once set up are not taking me a excessive amount of
time. My own work is a block study that is similar to Christoph
Steiner in Manaus.

Charcoal sources - we felt that since Steiner found his charcoal with
local suppliers we could make our own too. We also were fortunate to
have a pilot project pyrolyser nearby as received a donation of
charcoal powder that met the low temperature specification. Otherwise
I would go with local sources and not worry.
An overriding concern about homemade charcoal in urban areas is the
smoke. However the smoke and heat play a role in formation of
terrapreta in soil as Steiner spelled out clearly in his dissertation..

Expectations - Spend some time in the literature and make comparisons
to the soil conditions in Amazonia to your own. Do you currently have
issues in your soil with  maintaining organic matter content, CEC,
calcium and potassium availability, phosphorus binding, leaching of
nitrates? If you add charcoal to your best soils you may have a muted
response. This is our situation and my way to work around this
situation is to continuously crop with no further organic matter or
fertilizer additives. We are now on second crop moving into second
year of 3 or 4. An alternative for you would be to use depleted soil
to start to study the effects of charcoal in combination with compost
and or manure.

Measurements - setting up an experiment is the easy part. I did not
have time to conduct a detailed to closely monitor physical features.
Having access to interns or students would be handy to work on this
and reduce the data. Without close chemical analysis is like flying
blind. My 28 study blocks are analysed twice a season late spring,
after soil is warm and in fall after harvest is completed. 56 tests
per year are well worth the expense is my advice.

Your study group - My advice is to encourage diversity of thinking
rather than consensus . Here in Bellingham our group is two of us,
Larry and I. We help each other but also allow ourselves the freedom
to follow ideas of our own. Larry has been on a very interesting
approach of biological enrichment of charcoal by pretreatment before
use.

My advice is rather than rush to set up all of your experiments with
start of growing season take some time for at least part of your
acquired charcoal to precondition the char until it has been colonized
by fungi and bacteria in a compost made of  - burned soil, wood chips,
urine and food waste with charcoal. If you leave some pieces large
enough to monitor then you will know when it is ready.

Keep in mind that engineers who are designing, making and advocating
use of these pyrolysers also these kinds of people build sewage plants
and fish hatcheries from steel and cement; making structures for
function better accomplished by nature. Whether we depend on these
machines for charcoal or not our contribution as gardeners to the
knowledge of function and best use of charcoal may be in the
biological realm.

Best Wishes