[Terrapreta] Lester Brown

Douglas Clayton dnclayton at wildblue.net
Mon Feb 25 14:05:34 CST 2008

Last night I attended a lecture by Lester Brown of the Earth Policy
Institute and World Watch.  I counted 500+ in attendance.  It was all
the major doom and gloom we are familiar with.  World Watch Institute
has now taken the stand that we MUST reduce CO2 by 80% by 2020 "to save
civilization".
http://www.lexgwac.org/LesterBrown2.html

Lester Brown's latest book is just out, Plan B 3.0, Mobilizing to Save
Civilization.

In the Q&A I managed to wave my arm vigorously enough to get a chance
to ask him what he thought of the the "technology" we on this list are
so enthused about.  Another person pitched in a few words about the
Terra Preta as most of the crowd was confused and clueless (interesting
as this was a very environmentally aware and activist crowd--- by a
show of hands more then half were members of the Union of Concerned
Scientists.  He seemed minimally familiar with the concepts and his
reservations were economic, not sure whether our schemes would prove to
be an economically viable method of sequestering carbon.

I would suggest that we all attempt to contact Lester Brown, World
Watch and Earth Policy Institutes and bring them up to speed.

Doug

Douglas Clayton
50 Bullard Road
Jaffrey, NH 03452