[Terrapreta] Lester Brown

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Mon Feb 25 18:53:53 CST 2008

Greg

Duane said

Better to get on with demonstrating the Terra Preta concept really
works as a soil builder and prepare to forsake civilization.  We
certainly won’t reduce CO2 by 80% by 2020 by any means discussed to
date.

This is how I feel too. Making the effort to educate, to perfect and
understand this use of charcoal. I do not know what else one can do
whether he is a doomer, survivalist or techno- optimist.

The facts are that 1/3 of the arable land on this planet's 1500
million hectares is in the humid tropics and is cultivated with slash
and burn agriculture. Conversion to slash and char method of farming
in this environment would mean a change in farming methods for 300 to
500 million people. Conventional farming in this  climate zone allow
only sort periods of cultivation between long periods of fallow, up to
20 years.

With growing populations in these regions and recent attraction of
lucrative export commodity markets to the developed world we are in a
death spiral of destruction of the tropical rain forests. Soil
emissions from Amazon deforestation alone amount to a quantity 20 % as
large as Brazil' s emissions from fossil fuels ( from a study
published 1998) With slash and burn 1.7 % of the carbon is preserved
as carbon. slash and char - even if it is not all used as soil
amendment would displace fossil fuels at least.

We need to educate people like Brown about this message to let them
know there are these changes in cultural practices we should be
advocating.

Rich