[Terrapreta] work involving terra preta and EM fertilizer in the Ecuadorian Amazon

John Nivison nivisonjohnkate at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 26 15:53:49 CST 2008

our work at the Yachana technical college on the Rio Napo, in the Ecuadorian Amazon, has involved the use of small agro-forestry style fields incorporating charcoal and effective microorganism fertilizer. We are expecting our first rice yield, ready in about 1 month, to produce a yield at least three times the average yield for the area, and we will then demonstate a continous cultivation of a hectare using crop rotation where each mini-field can get three harvests per year. This will then be demonstrated to farmers in the area and we aim to get our students to work with farmers to incorporate these techniques on their farms.
I would be very interested in any views from people, and would like to officially add our project to your website.
many thanks
Rob Nivison