[Terrapreta] Lester Brown

jim mason jimmason at whatiamupto.com
Tue Feb 26 14:09:23 CST 2008

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 4:02 PM, Greg and April
<gregandapril at earthlink.net> wrote:

> You know, sometimes I really get the funny feeling that allot of the gloom
> and doom folks just don't want problems solved, by ways other than just
> exactly how they think it should be done and no more --- so they can prove
> how right they are.

the human mind seems to have an equal attraction to scenarios of
apocalypse as it does to scenarios of salvation.   our millenarian
imagination has long been a critical component of our general
religious imagination.  it seems to have a similar connecting to the
larger cosmos and general assignment of clear causation that underlies
most religious thinking.  humans would much more have certainty and
know it to be disaster, than to not know and be left "unplaced" in the
world.

separating our current "scientific" end times thinking from our
general propensity for "religious" end times scenarios, i find very
challenging.  the end of the world has been and continues to be
announced with regularity.  so far the predictive accuracy is about
0:1,000,000.

that does not mean the current end times scenario is not real.  but i
do think there is an equal overlay of general millenarian sentiments
to the basic physical/scientific realities.  i have yet to figure out
how to separate them in the current case.

like most millenarianisms, this one will likley lead to a mix of good
behavior improvements, as well as extreme nihilistic actions.  i have
no idea what the nihilistic ones will be.  the good ones, even if
motivated by millenarian error, in this case all seem to be highly
desired.

maybe global warming will be an end times scenario that generates more
of the good effects of religion than the bad.