[Terrapreta] Uses of char in horticulture

Gerald Van Koeverden vnkvrdn at yahoo.ca
Tue Jan 1 09:27:32 CST 2008

A friend of mine does a lot of plant clone propagation.  I queried
him about the use of small amounts of activated charcoal in rooting
mixes:

"It serves two functions: to adsorb plant hormones and to shade root
primordia.  Hormones included in the multiplication phase of
propagation often inhibit rooting, so activated charcoal is included
to adsorb them.  Many plants will root better when root initials are
kept dark, and charcoal in the medium will also do this.  There was a
discussion on the tissue-culture newsgroup recently about what to do
if you wanted to shade the roots but not eliminate the hormones, and
the answer was graphite."

Gerrit

Begin forwarded message: