[Terrapreta] Using Biochar to Reduce N & P Use or Runoff

dyarrow at nycap.rr.com dyarrow at nycap.rr.com
Tue Jan 1 14:07:46 CST 2008

good thinking, tom.

use of biochar in soil conditioning will require changes in the
methods used to fertilize farm fields.  farmers and ag consultants
will have to be trained how to re-evaluate and re-calculate the amount
of fertilizers they apply each year.

the expectation is that incorporating charcoal will reduce losses by
leaching of critical nutrients such as N, Ca, K, and P, snd thus
reduce the need for annual applications of these chemicals.  further,
the increased efficiency of nutrient exchange between soil solution,
soil microbes and plant roots will similarly reduce the need for
annual fertilizer applications.

and considering the ability of charcoal to absorb and hold onto these
nutrient ions within their spongy structure, changes may be needed in
the laboratory methods used to measure these nutrients.  otherwise N-P-
K-Ca tests may not detect and measure the amounts stored inside the
char where it resists release by normal solution methods of analysis.

but if farmers & their consultants don't understand the action of
biochar and don't allow for this difference in their computations,
they will continue to overdose their fields and crops.

evaluating these issues and suggesting new testing and calculation
protocols, and then disseminating this modified technique is sure to
be an obstacle to widespread deployment of biochar strategies.

this is certainly an area the ag & soil scientists are going to have
to study, quantify and come up with recommendations.

david yarrow