[Terrapreta] Using Biochar to Reduce N and P Use or Runoff

Shengar at aol.com Shengar at aol.com
Tue Jan 1 19:43:30 CST 2008

Hi Tom,
Virginia Tech's chicken litter pyrolysis process claimed that P was held  in
the charcoal 10X longer than the litter spread onto fields.
I don't know what the average volume of CH4 & N2O & CO2 soil  emissions are
as soil type and conditions vary, but it wouldn't seem to  difficult to
establish baselines to verify benefits.
Extrapolating from the numbers bellow, say a conservative overall 1/3
reduction of GHG soil emissions, what would that benefit be expressed in  equivalent
tons of carbon per acre?
_http://pubs.acs.org/subscribe/journals/esthag-w/2007/aug/tech/rr_biochar.html
_
(http://pubs.acs.org/subscribe/journals/esthag-w/2007/aug/tech/rr_biochar.html)
"Preliminary results indicate that biochar amendments to soil appear to
decrease emissions of nitrous oxide as well as methane, which is a greenhouse  gas
23 times more potent than CO2. In greenhouse and field  experiments in
Colombia, nitrous oxide emissions were reduced by 80% and methane  emissions were
completely suppressed with biochar additions to a forage grass  stand, Marco
Rondon of the International Development Research Centre and  colleagues told
participants at the U.S. Department of Agriculture Symposium on  Greenhouse Gases
and Carbon Sequestration in 2005. _Lukas Van Zwieten_
(http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/research/updates/issues/may-2007/soils-offer-new-hope)  and colleagues at
the Wollongbar  Agricultural Institute are seeing similar preliminary results,
and Lehmann's  group also has greenhouse and field data showing the same
effect.
Possible explanations, Lehmann says, include biochar's influence on
water-filled pore space, nitrification rates, and the microbial community  structure."
To paraphrase Faraget;........Damn The Politic's....... FULL SPEED AHEAD!

ALSO;
Hey Folks, you too can experience the warm glow I get when I recieve  replies
like this;

Nardi, a scientist at the University of Illinois, writes in his newly
published book, "Life in the Soil," that a square meter of healthy garden soil  is
home to 10 trillion bacteria, 10 billion protozoa, 5 million nematodes,
100,000 mites, 50,000 springtails, 10,000 creatures called rotifers and
tardigrades, 5,000 insects and arachnids, 3,000 worms and 100 snails and slugs.  Throw in
the occasional mammal such as a chipmunk or a mole, and a salamander or  two,
and you get the idea that you don't have to travel to the Brazilian rain
forest to luxuriate in the biodiversity at our feet.

_washingtonpost.com - nation, world, technology and Washington area  news and
headlines_ (http://washingtonpost.com/)

Jim Nardi to me;

Dear Erich,  Thank you for calling my attention to the Terra Preta
technology. Yes, it is  definitely of interest to me - and I readily inferred its vast
promise from just  my cursory reading . I shall continue looking over the vast
amount of  fascinating information you sent me and hope that I may speak with
you about  certain details after I learn more.

With much gratitude for sharing this  information on Terra Preta, Jim Nardi"

So..Ya'll ...get posting......

I cover; The Washington Post
MIT  Technology Review
SCIAM
Popular Science

My GooGle filters cover;  Terra Preta
Agrichar
Biochar
Agricultural charcoal

Please  Report all sucesses to the TP List and /or the "Lobby for Terra
Preta"  thread
at_http://forums.hypography.com/terra-preta/13302-lobby-terra-preta.html_ (http://forums.hypography.com/terra-preta/13302-lobby-terra-preta.html)

Cheers,
Erich