[Terrapreta] Carbon emissions show sharp rise

bakaryjatta bakaryj at gamtel.gm
Mon Jan 7 17:08:23 CST 2008

Dear list members,

I like Frank's 2 cents worth's observation and Sean's response. Leave the
forests to perform their natural function, it is doing it quite well. Using
annual growing biomass as the material for biochar production is most
logical. To have more annually produced biomass one could consider the
agroforestry system as an additional source of feedstock for biochar
production. Tree species used need regular trimming and the trimmings are
mainly small size material that is in my experience easily made into
biochar. The small size also takes less effort in pulverizing the char. .
The end product is unlike the charcoal that is used for fuel and in some
countries illegal to produce. The use of more mature or larger wood requires
more energy throughout the process as well.

In my part of the world a person would be considered foolish to grind up
charcoal and stick it in the soil.
It is considered too valuable for that and I don't think the Terrapreta
concept would be acceptable, even if people were paid for it. This is not
just a technological issue. If there are difficulties convincing  the
'advanced' people of 'civilized' society, try and tell the people in the
least developed countries what is happening and what they should do.

Hurry up and show results. Seeing might help believing. Coca Cola has
reached all parts of the world. I hope Terrapreta is accepted faster! Maybe
we can get the corporations convinced that saving the planet is a sound
economic policy? I might make quite a difference.

Bakary Jatta
Bwiam village
The Gambia

Sean K B wrote:

> Hi Frank,
>
> You are absolutely right.  Depleting biological reservoirs of carbon, like
> standing forests and/or other perennial growing biomass could create
> problems, like biodiversity decline, and such.  I suggest strongly that
> biological reserves are not utilized for the production of charcoal.  It
> is important not to remove all the forestland to make charcoal to put into
> soil.  I think charcoal should be made from biomass which grows annually
> and would otherwise die and decay annually.  Agricultural residues are the
> preferred biomass feedstock, I think.  The site for charcoal deposits is
> the land that those agricultural residues came from.  We need to recycle
> available "renewable" (every year) biomass into charcoal into soil, rahter
> than let it decay into CO2 emissions as it does now.
>
> Regards,
>
> SKB

snipped>