[Terrapreta] Economics of biochar

andrew list at sylva.icuklive.co.uk
Tue Jan 8 06:16:16 CST 2008

On Monday 31 December 2007 13:08, andrew wrote:
> I have collected a sample by
> scraping and 3kg wet has reduced to kg air dry, I'll carbonise
> this and then ash it just to see what the energy balances look
> like with inevitable soil contamination.

Just in case anybody was following this, it's a bit UK centric but
here goes:

I was looking at "other" woody residues that would normally be left
to rot on the ground to consider their possible worth as a carbon
sink.

As I had been working shredding standing invasive species
(rhododendron) within a 60 year old pine plantation I collected a
small 3kg sample of the arisings. I estimated that this represented
30Tonnes/ha of material.

I then dried, charred and ashed the sample to see what the yields
were, bear in mind I expected fairly heavy soil/stone contamination.
In fact I only found 2 small stones in the ash.

The figures:
Wet sample    2.971kg
air dry       1.556kg
oven dry      1.220kg
char [1]      0.323kg
ash           0.210kg

[1] there was some loss of dm in the charring as the tlud burn went
into a combustion phase and the carbonising was completed in a
biscuit tin retort in the wood stove, I would estimate the max
temperature to be 600C and the fixed carbon >80%

This shows that the mid winter harvested shredded material and forest
litter had a wet basis water content of ~60% and the ash free yield
of char was 11% of total dry matter.

Given the high ash/soil contamination and reduced to a per kg basis
it looks like there was a total energy of 15.4MJ/kg oven dried matter
of which 2.97MJ was left in the char. The process gave off 12.5MJ of
energy which would have been adequate to supply the drying and
heating to pyrolysis temperature of between 3 and 5 times this
amount of wet material depending on process efficiency and process
temperature. Lower temperature would retain more energy in the char,
increase the gross amount of lower fixed carbon char but reduce
process energy available.

Now whether it would be economic to do this in order to sequester
just over 1 tonne of 80% fixed carbon char/ha whilst handling 30
tonnes of material is another matter.

AJH