[Terrapreta] Economics of biochar

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Tue Jan 8 12:57:02 CST 2008

Hi Andrew,

This is a very interesting post.  I like both the application and the process descriptions.  I have some (lots of) questions.

Is the total energy, 15.4 MJ/kg, estimated from the BTU of the dry arisings?

2.97 MJ is the estimated energy that is left remaining in the ~11% charcoal yield (dw% = 100% x (0.323 - 0.210)/1.22)) (with >80% fixed Carbon (fC) in the charcoal byproduct)?

I see, (15.4 MJ/kg) * (1.22 kg) = ~18.8 MJ total energy content of the sample and ~18.8 MJ - 2.97 MJ = ~15.8 MJ released ?

How do you arrive at the amount of energy released?  You state some dry matter was lost in the carbonization because of combustion.
Was that, 0.22 kg, so that ...

(15.4 MJ/kg) * (1.22 kg - 0.22 kg)  - 2.97 MJ = ~12.5 MJ ?

You also stated that the other released heat energy of the process was enough to dry 3-5 times the biomass, plus bring that to the exothermic temperature.  What is the energy conversion efficiency of the pyrolysis process then?

    processing efficiency = 1 - (MJ needed to pyrolyze the biomass / MJ in biomass)?

    = MJ needed to pyrolyze the biomass = ~12.5/3 to ~12.5/5 = ~4.2 to ~2.5 MJ?
       (the amount of energy required to dry and bring a kg of biomass to exothermic,
        not including loading/unloading, transportation, or other handling)

    = 1 - (MJ needed to pyrolyze the biomass / MJ in biomass)?

    = 1 - (~4.2/15.4) to 1 - (~2.5/15.4)?

    = ~73% to ~84% energy conversion process efficiency?

With only 11% of the energy left in the charcoal yield, then what % of the energy did this pyrolysis reaction release as heat and gases?

~73-11% = 62 to 73% = 84-11% ?

81% = ~12.5 MJ / 15.4 MJ ?

84% = ~15.8 MJ / ~18.8 MJ ?

Anything from 62 to 84% !?

What portion of that released energy (12.5 to 15.8 MJ) is in the product gas BTUs as combustible fuel gases and what portion is heat?

Would it be possible to tune down this reaction by moving the biomass feedstock through the reaction faster, producing less gases, less heat loss, and more charcoal?  Assuming that we wish to pyrolyze completely (react until the exothermic stops), then how long does the biomass need to stay above the exothermic temperature?  Once it reaches that temperature, then how long before we move it out of the reaction zone, where it is cooler, or has less oxygen?

I guess what I am grappling with trying to ask here, is if there is a way to throttle this reaction, to control the relative amounts, composition, and qualities of the byproduct outputs; charcoal, gases, and heat, by adjusting feedstock, gas, and/or charcoal flow controls, insulating the reaction, and while using temperature as the feedback?

It has been discussed here, as well as in some referenced papers, that control over maximum internal particle temperature can best help manage VM% and porosity of the resulting charcoal byproduct.  Is seems that control over these properties is desirable for potential users of agrichar.  Shouldn't we then maintain the quality of the charcoal product, primarily by controlling the process temperature?

The 62 to 84% energy "released" as heat and gases is another concern.  Should more of that energy go into the charcoal or should some of it be harvested and converted to usable work, heating, or electrical power?

It seems to me, that the ratio of the two byproducts; charcoal and/or usable process energy could depend on the economic values?  But I think the value of the energy harvested should only cover the cost of producing the charcoal yield.  By this, I mean minimize the harvested energy to only that required to process the biomass into charcoal.  This will maximize the charcoal yield.  This goes counter to the economic argument, though, because the energy may perhaps be worth more than the charcoal (in the short term).