[Terrapreta] Early Terra Preta Production

Robert Klein arclein at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 9 13:15:13 CST 2008

Hi

The persistence of charcoal is ample evidence that charcoal resists any form of chemical weathering which makes sense but needed to be proved.  Terra preta proves it.  It is not resistant to mechanical weathering, however,and the type of corn char that we are proposing would start of been very fine.  The remaining question is whether any particles large enough to show cell structure would survive.  It is very fragile stuff.

The pottery shards may do some magic, but I think that will be a needle in a haystack, as the clay would be worked on the river bank and sun dried there.

regards

bob