[Terrapreta] Early Terra Preta Production

Greg and April gregandapril at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 18 17:53:41 CST 2008

Sorry to be so long getting back, been dealing with another series of
migraines and other things and fell behind.

Yes and no.

It's a known fact that a lump of coal sitting in a closed tool box will help
keep the iron tools from getting rusty, because it's slowly oxidizing, thus
using the up the O2 faster than the iron will rust.

Who is to say, that during periods of aerobic soil conditions the char is
not doing much the same?    How do we know that the volatile matter which
might have been in the char has not already been chemically weathered /
removed.    I'm not saying that VM was in the char when it was buried, just
raising the possibility that all we are currently seeing in the TP, is the
end result of too many years of alternating aerobic and anaerobic to be sure
that it was not an essential part of getting things started.

Personally I would really like to see a chemical annalist of the pottery
shards to try and find out the source of the clay that was used, and to see
if the clay that was used had any particular ion exchange potential - both
before and after it was fired.

Greg H.