[Terrapreta] FW: Charcoal in soil

Duane Pendergast still.thinking at computare.org
Thu Jan 10 18:42:44 CST 2008

Nikolaus, Robert,

I'm curious. Where are you located Nikolaus?

Your observations brought back my youth in Alberta, Canada.  That land
clearing reminds me of work I and many others did then, bulldozing trees
down and into windrows for later burning. Sometimes we did it in winter to
disturb the existing soil less. The trees would slice off over the frozen
ground.

When I think back to those land clearing and burning exercises I sure wonder
how it would have turned out if the trees had been converted to char and
mixed into the land. We were simply turning about 30 years of carbon
accumulation back to carbon dioxide and burning some of the existing topsoil
quite severely at the windrows.

Duane