[Terrapreta] FW: Charcoal in soil

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Thu Jan 10 22:20:34 CST 2008

Hi Nikolaus

Do you have any idea what this naturally reduces to in terms of
elemental charcoal?  Otherwise the
amounts appear excellent and suggest that modern land clearing could be
judiciously used to sequester a lot of carbon.

Black charcoal chunks left after an open burn could be 90-95% carbon "fixed Carbon", after ash is taken out.  So, a proximate analysis" of a "charcoal" sample, a chunk from the "burn zone" field wind row, will tell the relative amounts of water%, VM%, ash%, and remaining "fixed Carbon%" ...

... in that single chunk of charcoal.

As for what the 150 to 180 tons ha-1 of "charred material" left in the "burn zone" are, that's another question.  A larger sample could be taken, scooped from several different parts of the "burn zone" perhaps, mixed, and sample tested.  The sample population would have to be larger in number, to assure statistical significance, be random, and be assured to take as much charcoal and ash together as in their present ratio.  This might give a better picture of the average amount of "fixed Carbon" content ha-1 left on the land.  Underlying soil contamination in the sample is another potential problem.

I'd guess a "proximate" analysis of an random sample of "charred material and ash" taken from the "burn zone" you describe might have
~50-70% ash content.  That's a guess, but it meshes with your description of the combustion that occurred in the "burn zone".  So, assuming 1000 to 1200 tons of green wet biomass ha-1, what would the 150 to 180 tons of "charred material" yield from a partial (but mostly) combustion consist of mostly?  Probably, mostly ash content; 7-8% of 1000 - 1200 tons ha-1 is 70 to 96 tons or 38%=70/180 to 64%=96/150, 38-64%.

The woody biomass may have had an intial "ash content" of 7-8% before it was burned.  If the combustion was mostly completed, then liberally, most of the carbon in the biomass may have been released as various gases, chiefly in the complete combustion gas, CO2, then varying amounts of other less completely combusted carbon-bearing pyrolysis byproducts (CO, CH4, C2H6, trace other longer chain hydrocarbons, etc), and "soot".

Only if the oxygen source were limited during the burn, would there be anything other than mostly complete combustion gases; CO2 and H2O exhausting from the fire.  With any limit on
the oxygen, then the fire goes out and larger amounts of the other "fuel bearing" gases may escape "un-burned" in the exhaust.  There may be large amounts of soot created, too.  If this did not land back on the burn zone, then it is "lost carbon" (back to the soil elsewhere?) and cannot contribute to the measurable or estimable 150-180 tons ha-1 left on the field.

Soot is "blown" off bits of carbon coming from explosive pyrolysis, occuring in the biomass; roughly C5H7O3 => CO + H2.  The explosive reactions are caused by great and direct heat coming from oxygen reduction reactions, H2 + CO + O2 => H2O + CO2 + heat.  If more oxygen is added or still present, (as noramlly is in an open burn), then the H2 and CO pyrolysis products just burn up immediately, too, in gaseous hot exhaust.  Carbon is alighting fast and not being left to "fix" out of the atmosphere at all.

With "full combustion", the amount of complete combustion exhaust gases is largest: CO2, H2O, hot N2, trace O2, VM (longer string hydrocarbons), and soot.  Then, the amount of fuel gases H2, CO, CH4, C2H6, etc, is small, and most of all, the original 7-8% ash is left on the ground in the waste from the fire.  But, the ash is the bulk of the density.  The carbon went up into the air.

I have a wood burning boiler that combusts to ash 10 cords of oak yr-1.  There are bits of charcoal in that ash, but it is most definitely mostly ash, by weight, and volume. I've taken to spreading this probably alkaline ash under the drip lines of evergreen trees; pine, balsam, spruce, etc. and onto grasses with field ant mounds.  It doesn't seem to cause any problems for plants or ants.  There is only 6 years or so of ash and that totaling about 2 or 3 cubic meters of the ash piles (a guess at that volume and I don't guess an amount).  I don't know how much land I've spread it over, either, or how many times I've repeated (guess 1 hA, 2 or 3 cubic meters) that.

Your discussion of Terra  Preta charcoal affects over the long term versus short term is very interesting.  You seem to suggest the beneficial effects on cropping with TP soil are not merely the result of there just being charcoal in soil alone, but rather, that it is a chemical and structural capacity built into the soil over time, through the interaction of the soil and soil microorganisms with the charcoal.  Can you think of any way to accelerate the creation of humic and fulvic acid in soils containing charcoal?!  This could be the way to achieve the agricultural benefits of of Terra Preta sooner.