[Terrapreta] Fossil fueled based fertilizers

Gerald Van Koeverden vnkvrdn at yahoo.ca
Fri Jan 11 11:38:03 CST 2008

Nikolaus,

Several months ago, you described a more efficient way to utilize
nitrogen by polymerizing it with formalin (see below).  Have you ever
considered ways to achieve the same goal by using charcoal to absorb
the nitrogen - as well as other chemical fertilizers - especially
phosphorous and potash?

If it can be shown that charcoal significantly increases the % of
chemical fertilizers that are actually utilized by the plant, then
this would open up a whole new window of commercial possibilities for
charcoal/char as a nutrient carrier/storage.

I enjoyed reading this little science project from a grade 10 student
using charcoal...."The third procedure was the creation of a
fertilizer slow-release compound. Commonly, 40% of anthropogenic
fertilizer leaches into the atmosphere or the ocean, causing mineral
salt levels and water contamination to rise
(Samson et al.,1999). Applying the fact that activated charcoal is a
strong absorbent of organic materials (Kosson  et
al. 1999), I compounded each fertilizer at a ratio of 1 part charcoal
to 1 part nitrogen (C:N), in the presence and
absence of heat, over time."    http://www.physics.uwo.ca/teamcana/
2004/hughes_report.pdf

Gerrit