[Terrapreta] Electrical conductivity of charcoal + 08 wishes

geoff moxham teraniageoff at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 21:16:35 CST 2008

Hi Sean,
I am interested in quick tests for suitability for biochar.
Hence the conductivity trials. I might as well to PAs as well,and
check for correlations.
I will certainly be doing proximate analysis and probably ultimate
analysis on the hemp hurds through Dr Bolton and SCU, and if I can get
him to do the same for some samples of red cedar and bambusa I will
try. Then I can calibrate my home trials?

I only have a paint mixers scale which I will do some home PA with,
especially for the interesting species for us, like lantana and
crofton weed and the species I cant find on the CSIRO P Analysis
database, like cedar and bamboo. The CSIRO site is extensive, and
represents heaps of work already done, and it also has gasification
tests on many samples.

I like the recent microporosity data posted here, from which I will
draw my kiln design process constaints. (Anyone have any electron
micrography of microporosity?).

 I have just spent a year researching parabolic solar thermal home
power systems using heat stored through superheated steam tubes into a
hot rock filled kiln.
Due to NNSW rain and cloud I have completely abandoned those plans.
How fortunate... given the current fooding! However I have a 1cu m
kiln to play with...I want to go for a ridiculous efficiency in kiln
heat losses, so I can do day long **soaks** to use a pottery term. I
intend to skin the ex HT porcelain kiln with another layer or two of
fire brick and even maybe wood after that.(hate styro)

Perhaps the electrical conductivity is related to the formation of
graphite sheets/tubes/buckyballs?

I am convinced limelight is a winner and accessible. Please post any
links you have to it. Currently making a **hard mantle** from V low
density HT kiln brick. checking materials suitability is easy with a
small blowtoch or the oxy.
I run on a burnt shoestring  and eat weeds.
Geoff Moxham