[Terrapreta] Numerical data

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Sat Jan 12 23:55:59 CST 2008

Hi Sean

On Jan 12, 2008, at 6:26 PM, Sean K. Barry wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>
> Thanks for this report.  I am enthused to see that you have been
> able to show measurable improvements in some of the characteristics
> that make soil fertile, with just these experiments that you have
> performed this year.  May your work continue easily for you.  Please
> let us know more, when you find out, about this combination of
> charcoal and compost amendments to soil and their combined
> interaction in the soil in making it the outstanding performer in
> your plant growth experiments.
>
> You did discuss in some earlier posts about fungus in the soil
> samples.  It is only one observation about the microorganism
> activity in the soil you used in that experiment, but I think it
> bears worth further consideration about what is occurring there.
> Was the bloom in the fungus attributable to the charcoal?  Were the
> greater OM, CEC and Phophorus (or plant growth) seen in the samples
> containg fungus?  Is more fungus at all interrelated with the better
> performing soil samples?

This may be the case but it is too early for me to have this kind of
understanding in a 2-3 year study. Lots of soil insects and collembola
(springtails) and nematodes feed on this mycelium becoming a nutrient
reserve in their biomass. I still do not understand what the seasonal
variations soil nutrient levels are.

In my plot study the dominant fungus we viewed was a species that came
in with the conifer sawdust based  compost we purchase and routinely
use at our farm. It is a species of birds nest fungus , Nidularia ,
and it is a strictly saprophytic and not mycorrhizial partner. Next
year in the same beds after the substrate degrades other fungus
species may come into play which use the non - organic habitat of the
charcoal and interact with crop plant roots. The fungi Larry found in
his pretreated charcoal in his small vegetable bed were different.
Also we spend quality time looking at every other kind of critter
using charcoal as habitat, worms, saprophytic nematodes, insects as
this is an indication of charcoal becoming a sustainable ecosystem in
itself. Think about this if  - terrapreta is beneficial to crop plants
then the soil will also be a complex and dynamic place.

Using compost as a standard pretreatment at our farm we notice our
crop species (native shrubs) in the second year of growth have
mycelium on the ground surface and support fruiting of mushrooms. Both
are evidence of beneficial fungus interacting with the crop plant roots.

I am thinking that as the simple substrate carbohydrates in the wood
waste disappears , the cellulose, lignins and sugars that are released
in their decomposition the charcoal habitat will become more
attractive to species of fungi and bacteria that are either
autotrophic or symbiotic with tree/crop roots. Where Larry is working
now is pretreatments that make charcoal rapidly attractive to these
beneficial organisms. It also interests me very much and I am
encouraging him to develop an experimental model to compare his
treatments to untreated at least.

It is to early to 'publish' these findings but what we are observing
makes very fertile discussion material which is what I appreciate at
this place.

Now Sean let me refer to your earlier reply  to Thomas Allen, a very
good statement overall about the history of terra preta and the
potential for benefits to agriculture and climate change mitigation -
however lets expand on this quote from your post - as it is related to
what i am trying to point out above.

' They made this soil back then, out of almost infertile native jungle
soils, to give the soil the fertility it needed'

If the native jungle soils are infertile then how can they possibly
support the complex triple canopy forest with wonderful diversity of
wildlife? The answer as you probably already understand is in these
moist tropics the nutrients to support the ecosystem are stored in the
standing crop of the forest and biota. In this humid warm environment
organic material decomposed and soluble nutrients are released almost
immediately. During the dry season the forest trees defoliate and
these leaves decompose in the first rains and the soils which are
completely involved with plant roots capture these nutrients. This
nutrient recycling in combination with the slower processes of
geochemical weathering with aid of symbiotic fungi and autotrophic
nitrogen fixing bacteria the net losses are balanced.

Slash and burn agriculture in these moist tropics are productive for a
few years but because of the nature of agriculture ie the
simplification of the ecosystem to a single element - the crop - it
makes nutrient loss severe, as Nikolaus Foidi has described in his
recent postings.

So the big question is what it is that terrapreta does that is
different from the native oxysols of the region? The best hypothesis
to me is that terrapreta must be enriched habitat for beneficial
organisms that promote abundant soil biomass that conserve nutrients
from leaching just as does the forest canopy foliage in undisturbed
forest. The mycelium of a saprophytic fungus that is decomposing
lignin or cellulose is also food and habitat for equivalent of
plankton in the soil. Biomass itself is a stable  insoluble reserve
for nitrogen, phosphorus and other nutrients. In the forest root zone
- the rhizosphere - sugar exduates from the tree roots serve as food
for the microbes that make this nutrient reservoir. Drought in any
soil is the end of life cycle for billions of microbes and insects. In
a fallow agricultural soil - between crops -  there are no roots to
capture these released nutrients. Terrapreta then through physical
attraction by charcoal and rapid microbial activity must be the mode
of nutrient conservation.

With inorganic carbon in the soil of the moist tropics this
microflora /fauna must become its own biocarbon input through their
autotrophic energy and nitrogen source and enhanced geochemical
inputs. How else could Dr Bill Woods have reported on anectdotal
information that terrapreta harvesters near Manaus claim that the soil
renews itself? This observation by Woods in the BBC video was seminal
to me in trying to understand what is going on.

Best

Rich