[Terrapreta] Numerical data

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Sun Jan 13 00:52:29 CST 2008

Hi Richard,

I think I see what you are saying.  The "microbial bloom" caused by charcoal in soil are both what are doing the nutrient storage and where the nutrients are being stored.  It takes "living" organics to store the nutrients.  The organics also happen to be carbon bearing and they can live both above and below the soil surface.  The carbon in or around the living organics can be part of the living or can be inert and in the surroundings; charcoal is inert in soil, carbon in the cellulose and lignin of wood, under the vascular cambium is inert, too.

When soil microbes digest once standing but now fallen to the ground biomass, then they too, persist in an environment of inert or partially energy containing carbon and nutrient bearing chemical structures.  Whether this is carbon and nutrient store is in the living or dead, decaying biomass, or whether it is in with the living and dead soil microorganisms seems to make little difference to the microbes, right?

The site concentration of nutrients is positively enhanced by the existence of carbon and nutrient stores in both the underlying fertile soil and the above ground enhanced plant growth.  The dying bits forest canopy falling down over and onto Terra Preta soil below, in the dry season, and rained onto and into that soil might well be the answer to the regenerative nature of the Terra Preta.  That and the monsterous numbers of biomass digesting microbes on and in the TP soil, to digest all of the falling biomass.