[Terrapreta] eprida char - organic?

Peter Read peter at read.org.nz
Tue Jan 15 05:17:13 CST 2008

I think your main message is that adding good practice biochar to good practice organics will not do as much good as adding it to bad practice 'field hydroponics'. Sounds suspiciously like Economics 101 principle of diminishing returns.

A propos " We can't even say it turned out well for the folks who used TP originally. They apparently are not around any more" , my understanding from that fascinating BBC Panorama programme 'El Dorado' is that the populous pre-Cloumbian civilizations of the Amazon basin were gifted with smallpox and measles by the first European explorers, so that there was virtually nobody left when they came back 50 years later. Not due to biochar. There's a marvellous Randy Newman song  with the refrain

"Hide your wives and daughters
Hide your groceries too
Th'great nations of Europe's comin thru"

Regarding how to get biochar, if it's in short supply where you are, my friend and sustainability campaigner here in New Zealand, Molly Melhuish writes

 Micro-scale biochar.  On my own behalf, I am extremely keen to find
systems where homeowners can "harvest" charcoal from their standard wood
burners.  We ourselves did so last winter, in our Pyroclassic.  Not
having a metal bucket, we crammed straight twigs into a ~1 litre tin
can, covered with another cut-down cann- these produced nice warm flame
for around 10 minutes and produced enough charcoal from a few batches to
fill a plastic shopping bag, which we've dug into a very small vege
garden plot.  (We also dug in large amounts of wandering-jew-compost, so
we can't say which has made the difference, almost certainly the
latter).  We've got 2-3 times the vege crops this year that we used to get

Pyroclassic is a local design wood burning stove with a long tube like combustion chamber made of 2 inch thick ceramic that acts like a storage heater and starts up from a few hot cinders if you feed it with dry wood in the morning.  Google it if you are interested.  Wandering jew is the popular name locally for Tradescantia an extremely unpopular and persistent weed.

Cheers

Peter