[Terrapreta] eprida char - organic?

Allan Balliett aballiett at frontiernet.net
Tue Jan 15 06:28:20 CST 2008

>While, I suspect almost any soil can benefit from charcoal, for
>organic growers, only a few of us who have special case poor soils
>need it (like amazon farmers or farmers like me with light silty,
>sandy soils).

I think any farmer is  going to appreciate increased nutrient
retention, improved water control and a strengthened, highly
diversified, soil foodweb.

We are in clay loam, and while we are able to build soils through
organic practices, we haven't created an soils  that approach the
humic content ascribed to terra preta.

But I vote for "pure char or pure charcoal' for incorporating in our
soil and not for amended products.

-Allan Balliett
organic farmer
Shepherdstown, WV