[Terrapreta] 80 degrees Fahrenheit

Gerald Van Koeverden vnkvrdn at yahoo.ca
Sat Jan 26 18:08:18 CST 2008

Thanks to whoever suggested buying Nardi's "Life in the Soil: a guide
for naturalists and gardeners"  I'm really enjoying studying my
copy.  I graduated in soil science 35 years ago but I've forgotten
much of it.  And so much about soil life is entirely new to me.
Other than a mention of worms, we hardly even considered any of the
mutlitude of other organisms.  The whole complex web of soil life is
fascinating.

"Organic matter also decays more rapidly in warmer climates.  When
temperatures rise above 80F, organic matter actually decays faster
than it is generated.  That is why practically all organic matter in
the tropics is found aboveground in the living forest."  (p.32)

I wonder if this is key to understanding why the effect of charcoal
amendments might turn out to be so much more dramatic in tropical
than in temperate zones?

gerrit