[Terrapreta] 80 degrees Fahrenheit

Jim Joyner jimstoy at dtccom.net
Sun Jan 27 17:03:16 CST 2008

Gerald Van Koeverden wrote:
> "Organic matter also decays more rapidly in warmer climates.  When
> temperatures rise above 80F, organic matter actually decays faster
> than it is generated.  That is why practically all organic matter in
> the tropics is found aboveground in the living forest."  (p.32)
Gerrit,

That's interesting. I'm assuming that the temperature you mention is
soil temp?
> I wonder if this is key to understanding why the effect of charcoal
> amendments might turn out to be so much more dramatic in tropical
> than in temperate zones?

In the humid south (US), it is very difficult to keep organic matter in
the soil. We don't have tropical conditions but a large part of the
growing season is hotter than the tropics, so our soil temps easily goes
over 80 degrees F. I wonder if organic matter decays at a higher rate as
the temp goes above 80?

Jim