[Terrapreta] Another promising carbon capture technique

jim mason jimmason at whatiamupto.com
Wed Jan 30 18:37:47 CST 2008

this is very interesting, but a sky high view on the availability of
materials with which to do it suggests it is not going provide much
leverage.  to be able to run the carbonation process, you need calcium
or calcium oxide that can be further combined with co2.  the amount of
either in ash varies by what you are burning, but ash itself is
usually in the single digit percentages of input fuel.  maybe you can
make silicacarbonates and potasium carbonates too with the ash, i need
to review the chemistry here (and apologies for potential term errors
above), but the limiting factor remains the availability of ash, and
ash being a small part of most fuels.  raw carbon conveted to char can
be many multiples above this.

couldn't one also just add the ash to a cement plant?  calcining
limestone with heat to get the co2 out is the opposite of the proposed
process.

or relatedly, isn't the proposed process just an accounting
manipulation?  the free ca and cao in the ash is going to react anyway
with co2 if left out exposed to the atmosphere.  it just isn't
reabsorbing the co2 in the flue gases so it is more difficult to take
the carbon credit.

therefore i think i'm a bit unimpressed.   but it is still a welcome
addition as now we have 3 contending main routes for carbon
sequestration, and each one can introduce a person to the potential
for scrubbing c from the atmosphere and sequesting it so it is
rendered unavailable to the ongoing carbon cycle.

well, 4 with algae feeding in the oceans to bloom their populations
(as about 50% of co2 respiration on the planet is oceanic algae).

and 5?  someone must be proposing the spiking of shell or bone dense
critter populations to fix co2 in caco3.  what scenarios are out there
for this on the biological side?

jim