[Terrapreta] biochar and no-till

May Waddington may.waddington at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 16:18:47 CDT 2008

In the experiment we are designing at the Buriti Doce farm, we are
definitedly counting on the rain to do the trick. The soil is rather sandy,
the weather is extremelly hot and dry at this time of the year. We are
planning to apply the char/mixed with organic materials just before the
rains come in, later on this year.  According to Kevins suggestion, the
finest we grind the char the better, uhn? Another reason for waiting on it:
dry months are very windy! It would blow away!

May

2008/7/1 Kevin Chisholm <kchisholm at ca.inter.net>:

>  Dear Etelvino
>
> Lou asks a very important question.
>
> If the char was spread on the surface, how could it get "migrated" to depth
> without tilling?
>
> At the present, I can see only two possible mechanisms:
> 1: Being ingested by earthworms, and being discharged at depth
> 2: Powered charcoal being washed down earthworm holes or burrows.
>
> If earthworm ingestion was a mechanism, how finely ground would the
> charcoal have to be, for the earthworms to ingest it?
>
> Do earthworms deposit any of their castings below the surface, or do they
> bring them to the surface and deposit them there?
>
> Can you see any other mechanisms that could get a significant quantity of
> char to depth, other than possibly earthworms, or the results of their
> activity?
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Kevin

Proteja o meu email como eu protejo o seu! Não facilite a captura de
endereços para o envio de SPAMS. Utilize o Cco para replicar mensagens. Não
divulgue mensagens sem limpar endereços anteriores e retire os "enc" e "fwd"
dos campos de assunto. Assim evitamos riscos de contaminação! Grata.