[Terrapreta] biochar and no-till

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Tue Jul 1 15:49:14 CDT 2008

Dear Etelvino

Lou asks a very important question.

If the char was spread on the surface, how could it get "migrated" to depth without tilling?

At the present, I can see only two possible mechanisms:
1: Being ingested by earthworms, and being discharged at depth
2: Powered charcoal being washed down earthworm holes or burrows.

If earthworm ingestion was a mechanism, how finely ground would the charcoal have to be, for the earthworms to ingest it?

Do earthworms deposit any of their castings below the surface, or do they bring them to the surface and deposit them there?

Can you see any other mechanisms that could get a significant quantity of char to depth, other than possibly earthworms, or the results of their activity?

Best wishes,

Kevin