[Terrapreta] products of pyrolysis reactions

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Sun Jun 1 10:24:13 CDT 2008

Hi Michael, Francoise et al,

This surprises me greatly Michael.  I thought you understood that pyrolysis and gasification of biomass occur together?!  Pyrolysis is the thermal decomposition of biomass.  It decomposes into among other things, hot gases, like CO2, CO, H2, H2O, N2, O2, and CH4.  This is gasification of biomass.  The "off-gas" from pyrolysis reactions is usually called "producer gas" when air is used as an oxidant or "syngas" when pure oxygen is used or no oxidant is used (inside sealed retorts).  Any pyrolysis reaction in biomass, be it in a kiln, a pit, a retort, a TLUD, a stratified down-draft gasifier produces some gases.  There is also some part of the biomass which is converted to liquids (tars, bio-oils, vaporized in the heat and entrained with the gas if there is a pressurized draft), some of the biomass carbon is left as CHARCOAL, and then there is mineral ash, too.  The ash component is usually on or in the charcoal itself or mixed in with the liquids.

Many on this list have spoken about "burning" the combustible gas fraction of the producer gas (H2, CO, and CH4 are combustible fuel gases) and using the heat to make the pyrolysis reaction continue in the biomass feedstock.  Pyrolysis reactions start out endothermic, which means they require the continued application of heat in order to continue.  At high enough temperatures the reactions can become exothermic, which means that they will produce enough heat by themselves to continue the reaction without further addition of the heat.

Keep watching.  I think most on the list would agree that production of charcoal from biomass is a necessary requirement to forming Terra Preta soils.  Pyrolysis and gasification of biomass are both going to occur when charcoal is made from biomass, especially if there is any air or oxygen used to make the pyrolysis reaction continue.

Hopefully you do know, too, Michael, that there is a large amount of HEAT liberated from pyrolysis reactions.  I think it is "ON TOPIC" to discuss use of the products from pyrolysis reactions.  In the most efficient of charcoal production processes, 50-60% of the energy contained in the chemical structure of the biomass can be retained in the charcoal (see the work of Dr. Michael J. Antal).  The remaining energy is released predominantly as heat and as chemical energy in the combustible fuel gases (H2, CO, CH4).  The other gas fraction (CO2, H2O, N2, O2, etc) contains no useful chemical energy as it requires the input of more energy to decompose these gases further.  They do carry heat energy though.

Hot smoke contains these complete combustion product gases (CO2 and H2O), entrained vaporized liquids (tars, bio-oils, etc), and blown off bits of carbon from the charcoal (soot, solid particulate matter).

Here is a simple diagram,

BIOMASS FEEDSTOCK => {Pyrolysis reaction} => HEAT + GASES + LIQUIDS + CHARCOAL + ASH