[Terrapreta] no instantaneousness = no overnight

Larry Williams lwilliams at nas.com
Mon Jun 2 03:58:38 CDT 2008

Francoise-------Although, my gardening with charcoal has not been
entirely successful, the word instantaneous does seem to be out of
place. Folkes' comments may hold true with more use of charcoal in
fields and gardens.

His timetable has elements that I accept as "on the mark". I have
used charcoal to reduce the smell of kitchen scrapes including meats
and fats without the local dogs or rats finding these treats. I do
believe that the smell of these kitchen scrapes is absorbed by
freshly made charcoal. Years ago, I buried kitchen scrapes without
using charcoal and the "kitty" holes needed to be deep to prevent
these two critters from digging for the best parts. With the use of
charcoal the "kitty" holes appear to only need to be shallow. I have
no wish to feed rats but do wish to know what deter them. Is that an
instant effect. Yes, but is not biologically active charcoal.

Over time, the functions of charcoal do seem to increase the benefits
to the garden plants. My experience suggests that after eight months
charcoal laying on a fungal substrate with a small amount of urine
added retain a rich organic smell that can only be attributed to
urine. This charcoal, when buried under some vegetables, made a
significance differences in the growth of those veggies. Is that
instant?  No. Is it biological active. I believe so.

Why in one situation the charcoal seems absorb smells and in another
it seems to retain a modified smell is interesting. Are you a kid in
the garden?  Explore with the curiosity of a young boy-------Larry