[Terrapreta] no instantaneousness = no overnight

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Mon Jun 2 08:16:28 CDT 2008

Dear Sean

Sean K. Barry wrote:
> Hi Francoise,
>
> So, that first sentence you quoted from me does not count.  You count
> the one I put the "Maybe ... in front of?
>
> Thanks for reading me so correctly.  Ask Dr Steiner or Dr, Lehmann if
> they were just making up the 290% improvement in plant productivity
> seen in a single growing season.  Maybe Danny Day exaggerated, too.

I think the spectacular first year results reported by Drs Steiner,
Lehman, and Day  were as a result of fertilizers added with the char,
and not the char itself. A fair comparison would be to compare the
results from the Control Plot, with the results from the Charcoal Only
plot. In one of Dr. Steiner's Tests, I believe he had test plots as follows:
Control
Control + Char
Control + Compost
Control + Fertilizer
Control + Char + Fertilizer
Control + Compost + Fertilizer
Control + Compost + Char + Fertilizer.
etc...

I further believe that they did not expect significant first year
improvements with the char, but rather, they were looking to demonstrate
the enhanced nutrient retention characteristics of Char, and they
expected best results in 3 to 4 years.

Please correct me if I am in error.

Kevin