[Terrapreta] Coal oil and fertiliser urea production in Australia.

Barry Batchelor barry.batchelor at eyecon.com.au
Tue Jun 3 01:41:57 CDT 2008

Hi All

Thought some might be intereted in the following,

Brown Coal no use in a standard form for Agi soils?

Regards

Barry

Taken from ABC australia's new website
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/06/03/2263839.htm

Snip
With no relief in sight for oil prices, turning Australia's vast coal
stocks into diesel could be a potential solution to the energy crisis.

The coal industry says its resource is the forgotten solution to the
crisis, with the technology now available to make the transformation.

The process is already in place in South Africa and proponents say it is
commercially viable here as well.

Allan Blood, chairman of the Australian Energy Company, says Australia
is making the petrol crisis harder than it has to be.

"There is no reason why Australia could not be totally self-sufficient
for petroleum needs using coal as a fix-stop," he said.

Mr Blood is the man behind a $2 billion project being launched today in
Victoria's Latrobe Valley, which will turn brown coal into the
fertiliser urea.

He says the same technology could also be used to turn coal into diesel
for the transport industry.

"South Africans have been doing it since 1968 in a firm called Sasol,"
he said.

"They have been making 150,000 barrels a day and historians forget of
course, but a lot of the diesel for the German war effort came from coal
as well."

Producing diesel from coal has traditionally been a relatively expensive
process but as oil prices have rocketed, the economic benefits of the
process have increased.

"We are actually doing a study in the United States at the moment on a
large plant to produce up to 150,000 barrels a day and we know the
numbers very well and believe me that anything around the $60 a barrel
mark, this is an extremely economic process," Mr Blood said.

    Looming horizon

Optimistic industry figures, including Mr Blood, predict that this
technology could be producing diesel for Australian transport workers in
four to five years.

John Boshier, the executive director of the National Generators Forum,
says using coal to make diesel is a real possibility.

"Australia has a lot of brown coal and it is very realistic. The cost of
course is the issue but it is commonly believed that with oil prices
over $100 a barrel, that it would be commercially viable," he said.

Federal Resources Minister Martin Ferguson was unavailable to comment,
but a spokesman said he was very interested in the role coal might play
in moves to insulate Australia from world oil prices.

Mr Boshier says the production of transport fuel has not been on the
political radar until now but sustained high petrol prices will ensure
that changes.

"The major difficulty for investors is how long will these high prices
last and there seems to be a feeling now in the world that prices could
stay high for quite some time so it is being looked at much more
seriously," he said.

But Ray Prowse from the Centre for Sustainable Energy Systems at the
Australian National University says using coal to replace petroleum
would be a case of same problem, different resource.

"We've come across this problem with oil running out," he said.

"Now all we are going to do in terms of transferring the emphasis across
to coal is to accelerate the rate at which the coal is used and just
transfer the viability from oil through to coal and fairly soon we are
going to find that we are running out of coal in exactly the same way
that we are running out of oil at the moment."

Mr Boshier disagrees with that argument, because he does not see the
same scarcity for coal that is pushing the price of oil up.

"There is no way in 30 years that the coal resource would be seriously
depleted," he said.

"There is hundreds and hundreds of years of use of brown coal so I would
imagine that one project could be followed by another, could be followed
by another."

/Adapted from a World Today report by Jane Cowan.
/Snip