[Terrapreta] vascular elements

Mark Ludlow mark at ludlow.com
Tue Jun 3 02:40:55 CDT 2008

Dr. Haard & List,

I am interested in the morphology of carbonized angiosperm (or gymnosperm!)
wood, including, of course, typical char from TP sites. Is there a reference
or paper that includes SEMs or x-ray characterizations that you are familiar
with?

Many functional attributes claimed for biochar (at least on the TP list)
seem contradictory; some, such as a purported ability to adsorb at the
molecular scale, seem more characteristic of activated chars which have
cage-like fullerene structures far too small to allow biogrowth. I assume
that not all biochar is homogeneous, even at the microporous level, but what
structural/functional relationships exist between char and its immediate
biological communities? What balance of macro/micro structures are ideal?
For now, it seems as if we are seeking to specify temperatures of production
with the end result of not volatilizing, completely, some compounds which
are recognized as being beneficial to soil flora. But surely the mechanisms
of benefit must not be proportionately static over the millennia(?)

http://www.pnas.org/cgi/reprint/6/4/178.pdf suggests that activation can
occur at room temperature over a time span of some years.

Mark