[Terrapreta] vascular elements

folke Günther folkeg at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 04:39:56 CDT 2008

Isn't a discussion of using lignite or anthracite missing the point in some
ways?
There are two good reasons for adding char to the soil:

   1. Improving the soil
   2. Sequestering carbon dioxide from the atmosphere

Taking up inert carbon already present in deep ground for the sake of point
(2) above is meaningless
Adding it to soil for doubtful reasons is also meaningless.
Concentrate on biomass!
FG

2008/6/1 Roy Lent <rwlent at gmail.com>:

> On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 4:54 PM, Richard Haard <richrd at nas.com> wrote:
>

>> On May 31, 2008, at 2:43 PM, Roy Lent wrote:
>>
>> 1. Is it possible that low grade lignite coal could give the same TP
>> effect in soil that charcoal does?
>>

>> no (no remnants of vascular elements)
>>
>> I've seen xylem rings in coal. These are not vascular elements? What
> function do they serve in TP?

NB :Send your mails to folkeg at gmail.com, not to holon.se
Folke Günther
Kollegievägen 19