[Terrapreta] Black soil

Mark Ludlow mark at ludlow.com
Tue Jun 3 13:41:33 CDT 2008

I worked in the USDA-SCS Technical Service Center in Lincoln, NE in the
'60s. Most of the publications we distributed then concerned windbreaks;
grassed waterways to help prevent the formation of gulleys; formation and
retention of wildlife habitat by deliberate stacking of brush and scrub
trees; and the advocacy of contour plowing and terracing; pond building; and
of course, tiling--to help transform the natural wetlands into corn and
sorghum fields.

In some places the topsoil was seven-feet thick (even though the significant
amounts had been lost during the dustbowl days). A few years later 10-bottom
plows became the norm and windbreaks and other conservation measures impeded
the march of progress and were largely eliminated. Even contour plowing was
largely ignored. The lessons of the Great Depression were forgotten and
large annual soil losses were considered to be one of the costs of
industrialized agriculture. The soils are still there (or perhaps at the
Mississippi Delta), but apart from no-till not many movements toward soil
conservation have taken hold. The "World's Greatest County Fair" in Clay
County, Iowa, spends its first week evoking the old county fair tractor
pulls; but now huge leviathans for reshaping the earth have replaced the
machines that in turn replaced the ox and moldboard plow. Bankers are
standing by to finance this transformation of agriculture into agribusiness
and Monsanto and DuPont are there to sell the seeds and chemicals that,
year-after-year, help us to forget how important stewardship of the land--on
which we all depend--really is.

Mark