[Terrapreta] Black soil

Kurt Treutlein rukurt at westnet.com.au
Tue Jun 3 19:11:53 CDT 2008

Sean K. Barry wrote:
> Hello TP readers,
>
> Not that it matters, but is Terra Preta de Indio the ONLY man-made
> "Black Earth" (black soil) in the Amazon river basin?  Is Terra Preta
> man-made?
>
> Does any other sort of black soil found on any other part of the
> Earth, or Mars, or the Moon have anything to do with understanding
> Terra Preta de Indio?  Why?
>
> Does anyone suspect that we can improve the fertility of any black
> soil found anywhere with an amendment of man-made charcoal?
<remaining blah blah snipped>

People are wondering if the black colour of all black soil is caused by
charcoal in them and hence if there is some connection between them all.

It appears that this is not so, as someone has just said. No need for
you to start pontificating lengthily on the matter Sean.

Kurt