[Terrapreta] expansion

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Tue Jun 3 18:43:01 CDT 2008

Dear Duane

You missed the point in this ridiculous exchange. Your big mistake was
in being reasonable and sensible. :-)

Someone posted a site for an interview with a "noted Nobel Laureate" or
something like that. The poor fellow was involved in a serious
conference, and a Reporter buttonholed him as follows

"During a break, I asked Dr. Rowland two quick questions. The first:
Given the nature of the climate and energy challenges, what is his best
guess for the peak concentration of carbon dioxide?

His answer? “1,000 parts per million,” he said.

My second question was, what will that look like?

“I have no idea,” Dr. Rowland said. He was not smiling."

Now, if someone that was interested in a shocking answer nailed me when
I was trying to take a break and asked me

"How much rain are we going to get?

I would tell them "3 meters"

When he asked "When are we going to get it?"

I'd say "I don't know." And I wouldn't smile either. I would be annoyed
at the interruption. I would hope he would go away.

Someone else then takes the 1000 PPM estimate, and runs with it to a
degree where "hysterical" was the word that came to the minds of others.

Kurt then posed a challenge ...:

"Let me make a prediction: In my opinion by 2100 the CO2 concentration in
the atmosphere will have reached 2000 ppm.

What do you say to that?"

Kurt's point was that anyone can have an opinion about anything and it
is meaningless unless the circumstances supporting the opinion are
known. My posting where I mentioned 5,765 ppm showed one way where
Kurt's "estimate" could be exceeded 2.5 times. However, to make generate
the number I took the position of "

"Assuming that nothing else
changes, and the energy is there,..."

and you very correctly questioned my assumption about adequate energy
being there. Why didn't the original poster question the 1,000 ppm "off
the cuff and out of context" estimate by an uncooperative harried speaker?

The present CO2 Level is about 380 ppm. We are told by Experts "the sky
will fall" if it gets to 500 PPM yet when an irresponsible journalist
catches a tired man at a coffee break and writes an article that is 90%
fill and only about 10% supporting the headline, we are supposed to
accept it? That to me is irresponsible journalism at its finest.

If the "Experts" are worried about 500 ppm as being a tipping point, I'd
be very surprised if the CO2 ever got to 580 ppm. 750 ppm would be a big
stretch, 2,000 is beyond practical imagination, 5,760 is downright silly.

Why is this discussion continuing? There is no rational basis for
entertaining a level or 1,000 ppm CO2 in the atmosphere. Rather than
posting alarmist stuff, wouldn't it be nice to post realistic stuff that
related to Terra Preta and the circumstances where carbon additions to
the soil would be beneficial to plant growth?

Thanks for raising the question that brings this thread back to reality.

Kevin