[Terrapreta] Black soil

MFH mfh01 at bigpond.net.au
Tue Jun 3 22:27:57 CDT 2008

Thanks Richard, useful material.

Seems only iron and humus relate to black soil.

Let me compare with the soils in the Gazelle Peninsular of PNG. The last
major eruption (neglecting for the time being the 1994+ eruption) was in
1937. These were eruptions where vast volumes of gas and pumice are released
in clouds that can rise thousands of metres, with the pumice eventually
falling back to earth under the spreading cloud of debris. Basically, the
'37 eruption covered a substantial area of fertile land with inert pumice to
depths up to 5m. Most of the damage to houses and trees occurs because the
pumice gets wet with rain, sets like concrete, more falls and gets wet, and
eventually this is too much for a roof and the building collapses. It sticks
on the leaves and branches of trees and palms, and these collapse leaving a
central trunk.

There were no deliberate attempts at rehabilitation of the soil. But it
rained, and the winds blew some organic debris over the landscape, birds
poo'd, and some dropped seeds that germinated. In about 10 years there was a
reasonable vegetation cover and the beginning of a humus layer.

10 years later this was supporting food gardens and copra and cocoa
plantations. By 30 years there was a 200mm layer of dark brown fertile soil
overlaying the almost-white and very porous pumice, and topped with a humus
layer around 100-125mm.

The best of these soils is about this colour. There's no char and there's no
evidence of Fe beyond minimal. Its reasonable to assume that the colour and
vitality of the soil has come from the self-accumulation of organic matter,
aided by average rainfalls of 2500mm and a temperature range throughout the
year between 20 and 35C. In a cocoa plantation where machinery isn't used
between the rows, its normally possible to dig into the soil by hand to a
depth of 200mm. It feels right, smells right and is laden with organic
matter and worms.

40 years ago there was a very distinct line between the topsoil and the
pumice. Over time this has broadened as the pumice starts to weather and
break down.

The colour is about like the following, which will probably show differently
on different computer screens. Its not black - more like a well-worn pair of
brown leather shoes that have been polished every day with dark tan boot
polish.

There's no evidence of char. These fertile soils have been created without
much help from Man over a relatively short time period. Certainly the
climate has helped, but to me the most critical factors are (a) they were
protected from exposure to the sun as soon as the initial "weeds" grew, and
(b) were equally protected from direct exposure to rain.

There must be areas of the Amazon with a similar climate, and with similar
inert base soils. It seems that the Amazonians chose to improve their soils
by adding char whereas the PNG's basically let nature take its course.
Irrespective they both had an apparent understanding of the benefits of
living soil, a fact that seems to have escaped many industrial farmers.

Max H