[Terrapreta] Black soil

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Tue Jun 3 23:00:29 CDT 2008

Very interesting story Max, thank you

Have you done a mineral nutrient profile of the pumice parent material?

I'm not a soil scientist but what I understand is the Amazon Oxysols
are highly weathered, leached iron rich soils. Organic matter does not
accumulate and nutrients are easily lost by means of leaching. In
natural vegetation it is only biomass capture that retains these
nutrients, recycling as leaves fall during the dry season.

Are you certain this is a parallel situation?

Rich