[Terrapreta] Black soil

MFH mfh01 at bigpond.net.au
Wed Jun 4 03:49:56 CDT 2008

Richard - no, not parallel at all.

I did have some analysis data from the pumice layer after the '94 eruption -
will try and locate. However, we wanted to prove that it didn't need 10
years for some vegetation recovery on this material. Our first demo site was
within a kilometre of one of the volcanos which blew, and some 3 months
after it had quietened down. We chose a legume called Glyricidia sepium,
which is used extensively as a shade for cocoa during the seedling stages.
Grows rapidly, produces a canopy early, sheds masses of leaves as mulch,
puts N into the soil and is easy to propagate under these conditions - like
leave a cut branch lying on the ground and it will shoot.

Normally its planted by thrusting a sharpened stake about 1m long and 25mm+
diam into the soil. Simple as that. However for the reclamation project we
dug holes about 150mm deep and filled with soil we had taken from the source
of the Glyricidia stakes. This gave growth rates in excess of 2:1 as
compared to the control sites without added soil. At spacings of 2m and rows
of 3m, a canopy formed within 6 months.

The amount of soil added wasn't sufficient in its own right to account for
the added vigour. Assumption is that along with the nutrients in the soil we
added were all the little critters that aided a breakdown of the pumice. I'm
only sorry that I didn't know about char then. But there are some
similarities between char and pumice in respect of pores and surface areas,
and also in respect of not sinking. Pumice floated on Rabaul Harbour for
over a year, and apparently there were rafts of pumice in the Pacific for 10
years after Krakatoa. Many orchidists prefer pumice to charcoal.

Max H

  _____