[Terrapreta] Farm/compost biochar

MFH mfh01 at bigpond.net.au
Wed Jun 4 04:26:14 CDT 2008

Dick

Thanks for photos of tanks. Serious stuff indeed.

Basically you have two options: (a) making char the traditional way with an
initial fire inside the container and (b) using an external fire.

Given the size of your tanks and limited cash I'd suggest that the internal
method will be the most cost-effective and simplest to implement. It won't
give gas for other purposes but it will produce copious volumes of char. For
an external heat system for example, there needs to be reasonable insulation
of the tank. That alone will be logistically difficult and expensive.

Perhaps other experimenters on list have alternative suggestions. If we can
arrive at the best technique then we can look at the mechanics.

Max H

  _____