[Terrapreta] Farm/compost biochar

Dick Gallien dickgallien at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 07:41:14 CDT 2008

Hi Max,
My wife is a  ten quid Pom from Redcliffe.  Left Mother England at 4.

Now we're narrowing it down.  On the internal fire, Kevin suggested top lit,
with wvo, of which I have over 2,000 gallons plus waxed boxes, spread on top
to start it.   What would be the  pros and cons of top lit vs. bottom lit in
producing char?  In both cases the gas would be flared off, which would go
on for days.  Could that gas eventually be run through a turbo?
As the first experiment, what if it was top lit without the lid, adjusting
air intake from the base.  Because of the 10' dia., suppose it could create
air flows without any bottom air.  Can start small, see how the heat is
affecting the tank.  There is only the 6" space between the 10 and 11' dia
tanks and the roof of the steel bldging. Eventually that has to be
insulated, to protect the bldging.  We'll find out right away what damage
the heat does to the roof.  Thoughts on 6" of wide open air flow vs. 6" of
perlite?

Thanks for your input.  Later, Dick